Assistant Grower & Head Waterer
We are looking for ridiculously passionate person who shares our love of plants and is obsessed with the success of their co-workers and Tonkadale's customers. An ideal candidate will show up for work fresh and focused with an enthusiastic attitude and a ridiculous passion for learning new thigs. This is a full-time position for the ideal candidate. Weekend availability required.
To efficiently and effectively work with the greenhouse team to grow and water a diverse representation plant material including indoor plants, tropicals, annuals, hanging baskets, and fresh seasonal items. To assist with IPM strategies. To provide an engaging customer experience.
What you offer
- Ability to maintain a positive, friendly, and helpful attitude
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Dependable and punctual
- A genuine passion for plants, people, and sustaining our planet
- Always approachable to customers, teammates, a leaders
- Flexible scheduling with overtime during the months of May and November
What we offer
- Competitive pay starting at $18.00 - $22.00 per hour
- Opportunity for bi-annual performance based bonuses
- 401k retirement account with 4% company match; additional 4% discretionary match based on business performance
- 20% employee discount year 1 / 40% discount after year 1
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Work apparel and gear
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 6 paid holidays
Tasks and duties
- Lead watering duties for all plant material in the greenhouse department
- Assist in maintaining the visual presentation of all plants and fresh product
- Assist in all greenhouse duties and cultural practices as directed
- Un-pack, receive, and price plant material, and fresh product.
- Unload plant deliveries using greenhouse bedding carts and trolleys.
- Re-stock and consolidate plants.
- Maintain clean and tidy work areas.
Integrated Pest Management
- Maintain a valid Pesticide Applicator’s License
- Participate in all IPM strategies as directed
- Follow all rules and regulations, record keeping
- Be familiar with all products used, rates of application, and safety precautions.
- Make sales referrals, cross-sell products and introduce new ones
- Give consistent and correct answers
- Answer plant questions related to identification, care, and availability
Knowledge and skills
This position requires a two year or four-year degree in horticulture, greenhouse management or related field. Up to 2 years relevant job experience in a greenhouse or retail setting in a similar or related field OR desirable attributes that support the objective and requirements of this position. Appreciation for plants and gardening. In depth perennial plant knowledge is desirable. Proven success in a leadership role.
This is a physical job that requires you to be on your feet for the duration of your shift. Must have the ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as lifting, bending, reaching, walking, pushing and pulling carts, handling and sorting of materials. Must be able to lift 10-20 lbs. repetitively. Must be able to tolerate hot and humid conditions in the greenhouse and various weather conditions outside. Must hydrate as needed.
This Job Description does not necessarily entail all of the work or responsibilities of this position and will be updated as we adjust to business trends, seek improvements, or changes. This document does not guarantee employment in any specific role for any period of time.