Perennials Team Lead
Objective: To plan, organize, and direct all activities of the perennial staff. To efficiently and effectively order and maintain excellent quality perennial plants while providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to maintain a positive, friendly, and helpful attitude.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Dependable and punctual.
- A genuine passion for plants, people, and sustaining our planet.
- Always approachable to customers, teammates, and management.
- Workload may require overtime during the months of May and November.
- Develop and implement effective communication methods and strategies.
- Organize, plan, and prioritize the work activity of the Perennial Team.
- Employee training (plant knowledge, trends, pests) and orientation, assignment of daily duties.
- Lead pest identification, scouting, reporting, and treatment.
- Oversee daily watering, plant care, and maintenance.
- Complete perennial pre-orders and produce Perennial Plan.
- Evaluate vendor options according to price, availability, and quality to determine the best choices with mento oversight.
- Communicate and establish positive relationships with vendors: set appointments; discuss pricing/discount structures/freight/dating.
- Monitor and maintain inventory levels in-store and online.
- Create a buying budget based on plant selection, dollars spent, inventory levels, and sales goals at the end of the season.
- Identify customer preferences and compile a list for future purchases.
- Assign retail perennial prices based on Tonkadale’s pricing strategy.
- Accurately receive and price plant shipments to ensure POS accuracy.
Merchandising and Display with Visual Team Support
- Plan and outline plants for specific display areas, endcaps, and vignettes.
- Oversee general maintenance, upkeep and cleaning of all display areas and endcaps.
- Establish a clear and specific cross shift plan to keep displays in prime condition.
- Direct and participate in all Perennial Department duties.
- Trim, deadhead, and clean plant material.
- Water plants.
- Un-pack, receive, and price plants.
- Un-load plant material off trucks.
- Re-stock and consolidate plants.
- Maintain clean and tidy work areas.
- Put away or return all plastic, tools cardboard carts or other supplies at the end of each day or when work is complete.
- Maintain disposal log.
- Update daily notes in perennial communication log.
- Make sales referrals, cross-sell products, and introduce new ones.
- Give consistent and correct answers.
- Effectively communicate Tonkadale’s return policy with courage and kindness.
- Respond to customer email questions and inquiries in a timely manner.
- Answer plant questions related to identification, care, and availability.
- Assist with phones, cash register, and carry-out.
- Assist in other store duties such as cleaning projects, pricing, painting etc.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
- Complete Bobcat training.
- Manage plastic recycling bin.
Benefits: This is being offered a full time position offering Tonkadale's complete benefits.
- Competitive Pay with opportunity for bi-annual incentive compensation
- Paid Medical and Dental insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 401k retirement account with 4% company match, and up to an additional 4%
- 20% employee discount year 1 / 40% discount after year 1
- Work apparel and gear
Position Reports to: Front End Manager
Position Manages: Perennial Production Assistant
Knowledge and Skills: This position requires either a two year or four-year degree in horticulture, greenhouse management or related field. Up to 2 years relevant job experience in a greenhouse or retail setting in a similar or related field OR desirable attributes that support the objective and requirements of this position. Appreciation for plants and gardening. In depth perennial plant knowledge is desirable, but not required. Proven success in a supervisory or leadership role.
This is a physical job that requires you to be on your feet for the duration of your shift. Must have the ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as lifting, bending, reaching, walking, pushing, and pulling carts and handling and sorting of materials. Must be able to lift 10-20 lbs. repetitively. Must be able to tolerate hot and humid conditions in the greenhouse and various weather conditions outside. Must hydrate as needed.
This Job Description does not necessarily entail all work or responsibilities of this position and will be updated as we adjust to business trends and seek improvements or changes. This document does not guarantee employment in any specific role for any period of time.