Spring is just around the corner, and the time to get busy planting and enjoy the sunshine can’t come soon enough! Luckily, it’s also the perfect time to start seeds and start planning the veggie garden.
Join us for Minnetonka Community Day at Tonkadale on March 24, 10 am-2 pm, to learn all you need to know about getting your edible gardens growing.
This year, in addition to talking about all things related to growing edibles, we’re hosting a fundraiser for the ICA Food Shelf. What a perfect pairing! Support ICA to help feed those in need while learning to grow your own food for you and your family.
What you need to know:
$15 minimum donation gets you an all-access wrist band. $5 for children. Purchase a beer ticket (or a few) for $5 each and redeem for a glass of beer from Surly Brewing, Unmapped Brewing or LTD Brewing who will be on site with a delicious selection.
All admission fees, beer ticket sales, silent auction bid money go directly to ICA Food Shelf. In addition, Tonkadale is donating 20% of proceeds from that day’s sales. So if you’ve had your eye on something, that’s the day to get it and know that you’re giving back to the community, too.
10:00 – 11:00 Edibles Seminar – Grow your own beautiful food
10:00 – 1:30 Silent Auction, kids activities, food and fun
11:00 – 2:00 Educational Booths about edible gardening
11:30 – 12:00 Children’s Story Time with our favorite children’s librarian, Kia, from the Wayzata Library
12:00 – 1:00 Jimmy Buffet-inspired music on the main stage by the Bo Riddle Band
Overflow parking is available at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, one block away, with a free shuttle service every 5 minutes.
- ICA – Learn how ICA Food Shelf helps feed people in our community.
- Seeds – Learn how to start vegetable seeds and grow your own microgreens and sprouts.
- Bonide – The expert will be on hand to find solutions for pests, disease, and fertilizer needs.
- Bailey Nurseries – Expert growers of fruit trees and shrubs, stop in the to learn more.
- Master Gardeners – Come with ALL your gardening questions, they’ll be able to answer most of them.
- Herbal Teas and Tinctures – Jodi McKee will be here to share her wisdom about all things herbal (ask her how to use those pesky weeds in your yard to make good stuff.)
- Mississippi Topsoil – The maker of our infamous Tonka-Terra will answer all your soil questions.
- Pet Stuff – Learn all about healthy food for your furry family members. Grab a free giveaway, too.
- Creative Kidstuff – Kids can create their own “sushi.” No worries, no actual seafood in this recipe.
- Veggie Vow – A fun way to get kids thinking about edible gardening, color a veggie coloring sheet and write what you’ll grow this summer.
- Children’s planting station – A box of dirt, some seeds, and some plant starts are all kids need to practice planting and get excited about gardening. Also, plant a microgreen container to take how and enjoy in just 10 days.
- Photo booth – Bring your device to take pics as the kids dress up, and everyone should try on our veggie mural boards. Be sure to post you fun pics. #yourgreenhousehome
- Golden Nugget – Sample their world famous (all over Minnetonka) mac and cheese, delicious.
- Great Harvest – Be sure to try the great grain bowls and super sandwich samples.
- Crisp and Green – Fresh and delicious, stop by, try something tasty, and learn about their new location.
- Gina Maria’s Pizza – A local favorite for many years, be sure to swing by and grab a slice.
- Bruegger’s Bagels – Simple ingredients and excellent quality – don’t miss this table.
- Cub Foods Minnetonka – Delicious, nutritious fresh fruit samples.
- General Mills – Grab a granola bar and snack while you stroll.
There will be several awesome items up for bid from garden supplies and bikes to signed books and restaurant gift cards and everything in between, all to benefit ICA. The auction ends at 1:30 sharp, so make sure to get those final bids in.
Silent Auction Donors
Thanks to all our donors:
- Amy’s Cupcakes
- Back Channel Brewing
- Bailey Nurseries
- Barnes and Noble
- Bauer’s Minnoco
- Botanical Interests
- Cheers Pablo
- Copper Hen
- Cub Foods
- Foster’s, Inc
- General Mills
- Gold Nugget
- Heather Holm
- Jodi McKee
- Hudson Valley Seeds
- Lago Taco
- LTD Brewing
- Mary Hoben
- Mary Meyer
- Massage Envy
- Mississippi Topsoil
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
- Purple Cow Organics
- Red Sauce Rebellion
- St. Paul Saints
- Surly Brewing
- The Marsh
- Tour de Tonka
- Unmapped Brewing
- Williston Fitness Center
- Yum Kitchen and Bakery
Please join us for this fun-filled day to support ICA. Think spring!